Recently diagnosed & struggling

Posted Mon 12 Jan 2015 18.01 by Leeahh95
I started off with red, sore, inflamed and very itchy in my groin area. I thought it would go away. I went to the doctors and that's when I

Hi everyone! My name is Leah and I'm 19. Just under a couple of months ago I first noticed some redness around my groin and it was very itchy. It got worse everyday and I just thought that it would get better. I noticed my scalp was really flaky and itchy so I went to the doctors and that's when I was first diagnosed. I then started to get dry flaky patches all over my face. Ever since that it's just got worse. I started getting a couple of spots under my boob, on my stomach and on my thighs. My legs just got worse and I went back to the doctors and they also diagnosed me with a skin infection! My face is also getting worse. I always moisturise my face but at the weekend as soon as I put it on my face went all red and stinging. This is keeping me awake pretty much every night. I'm not sleeping and I work long hours in an all day nursery which tires me out. I struggle with the look of my spots on my legs and the dry flakey patches on my face. I'm getting rather stressed and anxious about everything now. Sometimes I just get home from work and cry. I've had pains in my chest due to being stressed. What kind of jobs do you all do? How do you cope with this at work? My doctor asked if I was coping okay at work and said she would sign me off. But I really don't want to have to take time off. I only went back to work in November after having a major leg operation as I also have a bone condition. At night time I take sleeping tablets but most of the time even they don't knock me out. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to get to sleep at night and not itch? I'm trying all these creams the doctor is giving me and nothing really helps. Has anyone got any creams or any treatment that has worked well for them? My family and boyfriend are really supportive. I feel so bad at night time when I can't sleep and I end up keeping my boyfriend awake. It's also putting pressure on our relationship as I have psoriasis on my groin. Does anyone feel the same? I have a hospital appointment in February to see a Dermatologist. Does anyone else receive hospital treatment and what did they do? Really nervous about it. February also feels like a long time away to have all this. Well, it feels like it's going to go on forever and I don't know how I'm going to cope with it. So I'm really looking for some help and support. Ways that I can deal with this and help make it a little bit better for myself and my life. It would be lovely to hear from someone so we can share our feelings and help give each other support. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Thank you for reading and I hope I hear from one of you soon. Thank you, Leah x

Posted Tue 9 Jun 2015 10.32 by PsoriSophie
My boyfriend dumped me :(

Hi Leah! I've been struggling with psoriasis ever since my parents divorced when i was 11 and my dermatologist believes this may be the cause. I think u may benefit from taking time off work like as has been suggested as many people find the stress only makes the psoriasis worse. I've been going to see a dermatologist regularly and I found that no creams or ointments have worked for me and they have finally prescribed a tablet called methotrexate . Methotrexate is typically used as a chemotherapy treatment but I've found it is really giving results. However, they do not like to give this to people as it has many side effects. Try asking your dermatologist about heat treatment or UV light treatment. Hope all is well. Sophie x

To take part, sign in or register with us

Reply to this discussion

You must be registered with us if you wish to comment on this discussion.

Please sign in or click here to register.

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you. If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them. Close