Swimming/sports advice?

Posted Tue 15 May 2012 16.16 by Jase

Just been diagnosed with psoriasis although i've had it quite a while. I like my sports, always playing football bit of basketball running and swimming. But I'm getting self conscious with showing my psoriasis. Its not too bad with the football and that (althou my mates will sometimes point it out) but its swimming and going to the gym and that i'm more worried about.... Places where its public and not just my mates. Worried people will see it and think they're going to get infected or something? Noones said anything to me yet but I want to be prepared in case they do, any advice?

Posted Sun 20 May 2012 20.40 by SophieR20 (edited Thu 15 May 2014 19.31 by zeezee2012)

I have psoriasis on my face, arms and chest, and I often go to the swimming pool and gym at university. Nobody there has EVER made a comment on my psoriasis (although I did once get a funny look from a small child). Try not to worry about what other people around you are thinking, it is their problem if they are judgmental, not yours. Don't let your skin rule your life, go out there and try and enjoy it as much as possible :)

Posted Mon 30 Jul 2012 22.47 by Alice
I have active scalp, facial, torso and genital psoriasis. The very first time I got psoriasis, I was about 5 years old. This didn't last for

Honestly, just be confident in yourself, we all know it's not contagious and if anyone does say anything to you then just be friendly and explain to them what it is. I have psoriasis on my torso, face behind my ears and in my scalp and swimming is one of my favourite sports. You just have to get on with it and if anyone thinks it's weird then that's their problem :) Alice :)

Posted Thu 8 Nov 2012 23.44 by El
i have been affected by psoriasis for a lond time, at least it feels like a long time. I had it from when I was 6 or 7, but then it was only

I have it on my back, front, scalp, ears, arms and legs but i love to swim. Once you are in the water I dont think people realise, but I do feel self concious when getting out. My family keeps telling me that you just have to get on with it, and in a way they are right. If you want to do somthing dont let this stop you. Plus if people stare or look, just make eyes contact and nod or smile then they know that it's Ok, works for me.

Posted Wed 8 May 2013 14.34 by psoscott
I have suffered with psoriasis since the age of 7 i am now 17, it has affected me in self consiecness aswell as pain, stress, annoyance and

I have suffered with psoriasis for 10 years since the age of 7, i have went through growing up, puberty and all school with psoriasis which is the most pressured time to do so, I have always been a little less confident in my body because of this like any other sufferer. The younger you are the more people can be immature about things, people are more curious to what it is although it is being made more aware to people and you will find there are a tonne of sufferers that you maybe already know who just dont talk about it. It can be quiet embarrasing but I have never let it effect anything I want to do in life, you find the more you dont care about it the more people around you dont either, so get your shorts on and jump in the pool, let other people know who are pointing and laughing that they are the only ones laughing by showing them that your the sufferer and your not suffering due to their small minded thinking.

Posted Sun 7 Jul 2013 11.47 by 10secsflat
I have psoriasis on my scalp, elbows, knees and in my ears. I hate wearing my hair up because I feel like I need to hide my ears. Al the peo

I love swimming and I try to go once a week, no one has ever said anything to me. My friends all know about it so they are fine. You might get the occasional look from a little kid but they don't know any better, I think we have all done it. If anyone does say anything, just tell them that's it isn't infectious, Good luck x

To take part, sign in or register with us

Reply to this discussion

You must be registered with us if you wish to comment on this discussion.

Please sign in or click here to register.

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you. If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them. Close