Facial Psoriasis

Posted Tue 18 Nov 2014 08.14 by jayray
I have been affected by psoriasis for the past 4 years

I have had psoriasis for many years now and as the time has passed I have learned to live with it but quiet recently i mean for the past six months I have started having it on my face and it has been really difficult to deal with, no matter what I use it dont seem to work and having this red patches on my forehead, chin, under the eyes and the side of my nose. It has really lowered my confidence as i have just started my uni and on so many occasions people have commented on my red patches and it has made me not to interact alot with them. Would appreciate if anyone have the same problem and know how to deal with it.

Posted Wed 19 Nov 2014 07.13 by SineadRose (edited Tue 31 Mar 2015 11.49 by Chris Savidge)
I have had guttate and scalp psoriasis for over a year now and have tried so many ointments, foams, gels and phototherapy to help clear my s

I had the exact same problem when I first got psoriasis a year ago. It covered my whole forehead and sides of my nose. It was really difficult for me as I was in school at that time too. It really deals a tough blow to self esteem. What worked for me was using dovobet gel on the red areas on my face and leaving it on overnight. In the morning i would shower and rub at my forehead gently with my hands which helped to get rid of the excess skin and plaque. After the shower I would use Alphaderm* which helps with the inflammation and redness and hydrates the skin, and i would leave that on all day. My facial psoriasis was gone within a week or two at most. The tough part was sticking to the schedule and to keep at it. It takes a bit of effort and its tough to go through but its worth it when your face is completely clear again. Hope this helped a little. Best of luck, and keep smiling :)

Posted Tue 6 Jan 2015 19.43 by floppitypop
I have scalp psoriasis but during the winter months I also have flare ups on my face, particularly eyelids and t-zone.

Hi, I've just started uni too and have the same problem! I use a dermalex gel overnight and before I shower I put a thicker topical cream (usually sudocream) on to protect my psoriasis from the water. (I take it off afterwards with a sensitive skin make-up wipe). During the day I use a vitamin E moisturiser which is quite light on the face, but keeps me moisturised for the day!

Posted Sun 18 Jan 2015 01.15 by jontyl96
Predominantly face and scalp and mildly on body.

I'm 18 now and was diagnosed at 14. My Psoriasis started on my face and has been the main problem area ever since. I share very similar experiences to you about people commenting on the red patches. All I can say is your true friends will understand that it's a non-contagious and relatively common skin condition, and that you are still exactly the same person on the inside. Those may be just words to you, so for some perhaps more meaningful advice I have found steroid creams to not be helpful for me. I've always had sensitive skin and my first experience of using steroids led to skin thinning on the side of my face and spider veins on my nose. I now use Protopic 0.1% ointment, which suppresses your immune system. I was told by my dermatologist that the risk of side-effects related to most other immune suppressing drugs is low, in fact negligible, because the amount of this ointment that actually enters your bloodstream is very very small. Most of it is just absorbed by the outer layer of the skin to relieve inflammation. Best of all, I got it for free on the NHS! Hope that helps you and anyone else who reads this! Stay strong people :)

To take part, sign in or register with us

Reply to this discussion

You must be registered with us if you wish to comment on this discussion.

Please sign in or click here to register.

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you. If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them. Close