Why me?

Posted Sat 26 Jan 2013 22.19 by Correy01
Recently had the worst flare up to date, it covers my face and scalp as well as my chest and it seems to be making its way down my arms. It

I feel I ask this question every day; every time I wake up and have to shake the flakes off my pillow, every time I look at myself in the mirror, every time I pass someone in the street who stares at me. I have had psoriasis for most of my life on my scalp but it has never been too bad but since November I have had a serious flare up, it's on my face, looks a little like chicken pox in places but is peeling and I also have it on my chest and it seems to be spreading all over my body. My girlfriend left me and even mentioned my psoriasis as one of the reasons why (which is always nice to hear). I don't think I've ever been this low, I feel ugly and I feel disgusting. I am a 20 year old uni student at Reading Uni and every time I go out clubbing with friends I end up getting dirty looks from people. Every time I look in the mirror I cringe. The creams aren't working and I don't think I could feel any lower. If there is anyone out there who knows how I feel (which most of you probably do) then please get in touch, I don't want to be alone with this anymore.

Posted Wed 30 Jan 2013 12.43 by Jess_Woo (edited Tue 8 Jul 2014 21.56 by laurenskone)
I have psoriasis on my arms, legs, chest and face. I also think I have eczema although this is yet to be confirmed. It affects my everyday

I know it isn't much consolation but you are not alone. I have to actually vaccum my bed every morning because of the amount of skin I shed in a night. I'm 19 and know how hard it is to fit in with people. My creams refuse to work and my doctors are completely ignorant of how it is affecting me. If this girl dumped you because of your psoriasis then she is not worth your time, because there are so many people witt psoriasis who have partners (myself included). You'll find someone who supports you and loves you for exactly who you are, just give it a bit of time. Not everyone is like her. Go to see your doctor if you can as they can help with the emotional side as well as the physical. Hope you feel a bit better soon :)

Posted Wed 13 Feb 2013 01.41 by billie17
I'm17 and have had psoriasis all my life, in flare ups...it has gotten in the way of my social life and has left me feeling self conscious a

You are really not alone feeling like that, I ask the same question..'I mustve done something pretty bad to deserve this' is what goes through my head...anyone who gives you dirty looks is just irrelevant...don't let them get you down. Just assume they are checking you out...that always helps haha If you ever need someone to talk to that'll understand, you can email me... I've had it all my life (which doesn't sound long when you hear I'm almost 18 but it's moooore than enough) and I know how much it affects how I feel about myself, no-one deserves to feel like that...you aren't alone, remember that. (My email address: kimberleymay95@hotmail.com )

Posted Sun 10 Mar 2013 20.43 by fozziebear03 (edited Mon 22 Sep 2014 17.31 by suzy2shoestoo)
I have had Psoriasis ever since i was 5 years old. It has affected my life in many ways, from being bullied to gaining friends and losing so

I know how you feel Bro,,,,,, and i'm only 13. :) BUT what i do when i get stressed out, is i talk to friends about it on facebook and other social websites like that PLUS i also LOOVEEEE watching youtubers. ;) If you need some help for youtubers i would reccomend people like: Pewdiepie, Yamimash, Markiplier, RayWilliamJohnson E.C.T..... and hopefully you will find more on THEIR channels.. ;)

Posted Sun 28 Apr 2013 20.44 by Lt11

Feel your pain. Psoriasis kicked in @ 18 in the summer & stitched me up big time. Being an 18 year old lad with holidays planned, girls, football 3 times a week, confidence, gym addict & a tan psoriasis was quite the unwelcome guest. Knocked me for 6. Every day (21 now) I wake up, get pissed off because it has snowed in the night, move & realise I've clawed myself to bits & find blood all over the gaff, put smelly white thick cream on & frown at myself in the mirror & go to work in a poxy office! Well & truly stitched up. There are times when you feel like you want to just give up, close the curtains & mope but it makes it all worse mate. I'm struggling ATM with it all but I know what I need to do & everyone else alike! F**k it off, smile some more, book a holiday with a sea & a sun & enjoy it when it clears. Might get what, 3 months of clearness? Take over the world in that 3 months. Do everything you haven't been able to whilst this melty condition has been apparent. Something to look forward to aye!!? My social life is suffering massively but I have an extraordinary girlfriend that gives me everything I need & want. Shame she has a muppet like me for company really! If you want to talk get in touch, it helps to talk about it with someone similar I think..? My name is Lewis Timbrell I'm on Facebook, private message me & twitter is LjTimbrell11 send me a direct message thing. I invite anyone who reads this to get in touch. I may seem like I'm being light-hearted about it but trust me I know how traumatic this is. Hope it helps In some way :)

Posted Thu 23 May 2013 22.53 by emlou92 (edited Fri 13 Dec 2013 06.28 by sjones)
I have had severe psoriasis all over my body since I was 5, it flared up again when I was about 17 and I cant get rid of it no matter what I

If it makes you feel any better there's loads of people out there including myself that feel the same, I'm 21 and have had it since i was 5, it flared up when i was 17, just in time for uni and clubbing. I've had stares, comments, rude stuff shouted at me and I hate what it looks like. Even though i have it i managed to find my boyfriend who has accepted it for what it is, which is part of me. Your ex sounds like she isn't worth it if she mentioned your skin as a reason, you will find someone who likes you for you and their not worth it if they don't. Its really hard and the fact there isn't something that can cure it is annoying. I have serious down days about it, talking about it can help, make sure you explain it to all your mates it might make you feel better if they understand. It can be so frustrating and going out at uni is hard but be confident and your be surprised at what effect that can have. Its not ugly or disgusting its just skin.. too much skin! aha I hope you feel better soon!

Posted Tue 26 Nov 2013 21.11 by mojo
i have it very bad all over my scalp and not as bad batches all over my body

i know just how you feel i have had that feeling since i first got it (about 2 years ago) and i still feel like that now

Posted Mon 22 Sep 2014 17.40 by chloe_bhoe
Severely. Feeling ill and very self conscious. Irritation also.

I'm 15, had psoriasis since I was 4. I feel exactly the same, always asking this question to my self. Everday seeing flakes is horrible but it will get better. Mine only recently flared up due to stress, but it went before and I'm sure it will go again. It's just the long wait for it too leave. The looks people give are horrible and sickening. But you've got to overcome that and be proud you're different, maybe not how you or any of us want but it's us. We can't change that. Hope this helps c: stay positive, there are many others feeling the same.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 2014 22.47 by Ricco96 (edited Wed 1 Apr 2015 18.47 by Crusader)
i'm just plain uglier.

i had psoriasis for a while, i tried creams but that shit never helped, i took ciclosporin pills four times a day and it's healing now. i know what you're going through mate with people rejecting me and stuff, girls won't even get near me, expecially the ones who think its related to hygiene and bs like that. i felt ugly and rejected and i'm still feeling so. it got to a point where i didn't want to be seen and felt depressed and unloved. but we all gotta pick ourselves up, you're worth more than some skin disease and the way people look at you because of it. best of luck and find your wings m8.

Posted Thu 12 Mar 2015 20.09 by Tom_tom59 (edited Wed 1 Apr 2015 18.46 by Evelynm1)
I have been bullied for about a year. I have become very shy and don't like talking in class.

I have had psoriasis for about a year now and know exactually how you feel... At first it was fine and no one noticed. And then it spred, now it's covering my left leg there's a bit on my right leg, it's on both my arms and my face and scalp!! I'm forever brushing flakes of my bed and have cried myself to sleep way too many times. I have been bullied by other people who go to my school they say things that hurt me inside so much!! People would literally run away from my thinking its some kind of disease. I have become so shy in class because I think I might make myself look more stupid! I don't like looking in mirrors and try and stay away from them. I am always asking myself "why me?"

To take part, sign in or register with us

Reply to this discussion

You must be registered with us if you wish to comment on this discussion.

Please sign in or click here to register.

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you. If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them. Close