Changes to your diet?

Posted Thu 3 Nov 2011 11.24 by Sunshine

Hi, I know there's lots of information out there about how changing your diet can help with your psoriasis but I was wondering if anyone had any advice here? I guess i'm a typical teenager :-) .. I eat a fair amount of junk food but i also play quite a bit of sport so I wouldn't say i'm unhealthy.

6 Posted Thu 3 Nov 2011 13.11 by HelenMc (edited Sat 26 Nov 2011 19.26 by HelenMc)

If you think you are overdoing the MaccieD's then maybe cut down a bit and get the odd fruit bag, but if you play a lot of sport you are prob ok. There's something on the food hospital programme on channel 4 next tues, so maybe we can see then? x

6 Posted Thu 3 Nov 2011 18.12 by clarissa17 (edited Fri 9 Dec 2011 19.34 by clarissa17)
people ask what it is and its hard to explain because people dont really understand they just think it is dry skin or when its on my scalp t

my diet is terrible literally consists of junk food and nothing healthy i dont like fruit or veg so i dont really see a change in my psorasis only change i see is when the weather changes or if im stressed, im guessing changing your diet may slightly help but talk to your doc:)

6 Posted Sat 5 Nov 2011 13.54 by HelsBells (edited Wed 23 Nov 2011 00.44 by HelsBells)

I heard that eating lots of fish could help.....but I don't like fish!

6 Posted Wed 9 Nov 2011 09.35 by HelenMc (edited Sat 26 Nov 2011 03.27 by HelenMc)

Did anyone watch the food hospital on Channel 4 last night?

5 Posted Wed 9 Nov 2011 20.16 by Hannah-tee (edited Wed 12 Sep 2012 09.10 by Hannah-tee)
Ive had it since i was 7, i am now 15. Really affected my self esteem and i constantly try to hide it.

I watched the food hospital last night and it said that a high intake of omega 3 oils can help. Both the peoples psoriasis was much better after the 6 or however many weeks it was of the diet! so i guess that's worth a try :) I've started taking omega 3 tablets because i cant stand fish! There is more info on the food hospital website if you want it! xxx

Posted Tue 6 Dec 2011 21.35 by s7
treatment times are ridiculous im losing out on education i need

fish is good

Posted Fri 9 Mar 2012 00.39 by aeh14 (edited Fri 9 Mar 2012 00.50 by madkat)

I have paid many visits to the Doctors to discuss my psoriasis and have always asked the question whether diet can effect psoriasis or help it. They've always told me that there is no research to suggest a correlation between the two. I would agree with this. Psoriasis is so frustratingly confusing and spontaneous. It flares up and then goes away, normally on it's own. Some might find that certain foods help, but I would argue that this might be a mere coincidence if I'm honest!

Posted Sun 20 May 2012 20.58 by SophieR20 (edited Wed 18 Jul 2012 11.04 by zeezee2012)

From what I understand, changing your diet is unlikely to have much of an effect on your psoriasis (although eating healthily is never a bad thing, as people with psoriasis have been found to have an increased risk of health problems later in life). However, some people with an underlying food allergy or intolerance have found that their psoriasis gets a lot better when they cut that food out of their diet, so if you think you have an intolerance, it could be worth seeing a doctor to check it out.

Posted Wed 18 Jul 2012 11.05 by Pete

Yea, ive heard a bit about diet but mostly i dont think it has much of an affecet psoriasis-wise. General healthy eating's got to help tho...

Posted Sun 29 Jul 2012 09.21 by SummerRenn
Had it since I was six in my scalp, now I have it on my back, stomach, arms, legs, scalp and face

Fish is definitely good. I've had quite bad psoriasis since I was six (now I'm fourteen) and it always gets better in the weeks where I've eaten a lot of oily fish like salmon, I think because of the Omega3 or whatever in fish oil. I did try taking supplements but I can't swallow tablets and the liquid stuff tastes disgusting so I just try to eat oily fish about 3 times a week. Give it a try, hopefully it'll work for you!

Posted Fri 17 Aug 2012 18.08 by faine.margaret.armstrong.loudmouth

almonds lots and lots of almonds

Posted Mon 5 Nov 2012 11.38 by littlesoph
Skin Psoriasis Severe Scalp Psoriasis possible Psoriasitic Arthritis :(

i previously heard somewhere that cutting cocacola out of your diet can really help, i tried for about 3 months to completely cut coke out of my diet or anything that look like it for example Dr.pepper and i did see a really good improvement, im not sure if its just coacola itself maybe it contains a particular ingredient but worked quite well! i now try to drink lemonade instead, still not as good though!

Posted Fri 9 Nov 2012 00.21 by El
i have been affected by psoriasis for a lond time, at least it feels like a long time. I had it from when I was 6 or 7, but then it was only

eating stuff with omega 3 and vitimin d such as fish is supposed to help - sun has vitimin d and that sometimes helps people with psoriasis. But i dont really know either, either way, what ever you eat I dont think it has a huge impact on psoriasis, but that doesn't mean you should just eat junk. Everything in proportion

Posted Thu 6 Dec 2012 07.06 by jimjamz2204
Yes

i gave up dairy and its helped so much

Posted Sun 7 Apr 2013 17.51 by d77gough (edited Wed 16 Oct 2013 09.04 by mikeron)
I've had Psoriasis mildly bad since I was 20 so I've had it for 8 years now and the 8 years were horribly painful, the image of Psoriasis is

I thought I'd share my story regards diet and my Psoriasis. At the beginning of January 2012 I decided to go on serious health diet to try and rid my body of my Psoriasis, I'd bought a book from Amazon back in October 2011 and I'd been reading it for 3 months, it was about Psoriasis and how to clear it through diet, so I followed it for 4 months and I managed to clear me entire my body of my Psoriasis, now it wasn't just a case of cutting out 1 thing and bang it just went it was a diet transformation, when I started to see the signs on my body that the diet was working it just inspired me to keep going with it as I was 28 and Psoriasis I felt was ruining my life a little even though I did cope with it best I could. If you would like the details of the diet then just reply and let me know and I'll be happy to post it. It would take me a little while to type out. Thank you

Posted Sun 7 Jul 2013 11.57 by 10secsflat
I have psoriasis on my scalp, elbows, knees and in my ears. I hate wearing my hair up because I feel like I need to hide my ears. Al the peo

Tuna! Srsly it really helps! Oh and almonds are good too :) x

Posted Sun 14 Jul 2013 11.01 by Rebs1993

Hey d77gough :) i would really like the details of your special diet it would be a great help, i've tried everything and still no change!

Posted Thu 17 Oct 2013 15.40 by Madz060
Plaque psoriasis

Fish is good and also giving up as much dairy as possible. Avoid red meat for example gammon,pork and other meats don't know many others lol

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2013 14.18 by capicap

I believe that a change in the diet cannot cure psoriasis but it may be helpful if you have some other health problems like food intolerance which may be the cause of your psoriatic flare ups. I personally have tried to adapt my diet several times eating more fish, reducing spice, sweets, etc. and never seen any change in my condition. Also when doing an online reasearch on the topic of what foods help psoriasis it has made me feel that there's so much that you shouldn't eat that it doesn't leave you with much that you can eat. Some say avod milk, others suggest avoding gluten, citruses, sweets...I guess it's all due to the fact that perphaps food allergies can trigger psoriasis but I believe you may not suffer from any food allergy and still have psoriasis. This condition is sooo mysterious.

To take part, sign in or register with us

Reply to this discussion

You must be registered with us if you wish to comment on this discussion.

Please sign in or click here to register.